About this Ironman Vichy training plan
This 6-month (24 weeks) Ironman training plan prepares you for finishing Ironman Vichy in France. And we made it specially for those who will do an Ironman for the first time. You will be an Ironman! It takes 10 hours to a maximum of 15 hours training each week. And by following periodisation, we make sure you will not get overtrained. You will be fit and ready to race when you are lining up for the rolling swim start in Vichy.
Ironman Vichy is one of the largest triathlon events in the world. It is one of the only Ironman events that host a half distance race in the same weekend as well – Ironman 70.3 Vichy. So you could go to France as a group, each racing a different distance in the same weekend. You will start your race day with a rolling start for the easy-to-navigate swim in Lac d’Allier, a rowing course next to the city of Vichy. It is a swim with 2 different loops of 1.900 meters each. There is an Australian exit in between the loops.
After you are finished with your swim, there is a fast and flat bike course with a few hilly parts. Although you will ride almost 1200 altitude meters in total, there are no really steep climbs. The marathon run is a flat 4-loop course around the Lac d’Allier where you started the swim. You will also visit the charming city center of Vichy in each loop. If you are fast enough to finish within the cut-off time of 16 hours, which you certainly will be with this Ironman Vichy training plan, you will finish in the finish stadium. Spectators will cheer you to the finish line where you will hear “You are an Ironman!”
What you’ll give
You will improve a lot with the workouts we will give you. But here are some things you should give as well to make the best of this Ironman Vichy training program. You must to be able to:
- Run for 1 hour at least, without the need for walking. We will work on your speed in this training plan, so if you feel that your current level is too slow, that does not matter.
- Do 2 hours of cycling. Your cycling speed does not matter. This is also something you will work on with this Ironman Vichy training plan. You will slowly improve your speed during the 6 months of training
- Swim freestyle stroke for at least 400 meters in one go, so 8 laps in an Olympic size pool. How long this will take you does not matter, as this is also subject of improvement during your 6 months of training leading up to your Ironman.
You will need some specific materials as well. These are some of the things you will need for the workouts:
- You are going to run a lot during your build up to Vichy. Invest in a decent pair of running shoes to prevent injuries.
- A road bike with a cadence meter. Most bike computers are able to measure cadence. You do not need a triathlon bike, but if you don’t have one, we do suggest you use clip-on aerobars.
- For the swim workouts, you will need not only swim goggles, but also some other training gear: a pull buoy, paddles and a kick board.
What you’ll get
You will get an excellent and proven to be successful ironman training plan to finish Ironman Vichy and earn the bragging rights of being an Ironman.
- The workouts of this plan prepare you specifically for Ironman Vichy. And it is a proven plan, used before by several of our athletes who participated in Vichy.
- This coach that made this plan is an IRONMAN Certified Coach. He finished multiple Ironman races himself and coached several athletes to Ironman finishes, including Kona qualifiers.
- We load your TrainingPeaks account with more than 250 very detailed workouts. You will know precisely what to do. Just to be clear: there is no download,you will acces your plan with the TrainingPeaks website or app. We will help you set up your free account if you need it.
- Can’t train outside? Too cold, or just hate the rain? No problem! You will receive 1 year access to exclusive additional workouts and training exercises.
- This Ironman Vichy training plan uses training zones to indicate the intensity in which to perform the training sessions. Tests to determine your own zones are provided.