About this training plan
This 24 week ironman training plan prepares you for finishing IRONMAN Maastricht as your first Ironman distance triathlon. Sounds great, doesn’t it? You will be an Ironman! And we mean it – after completing this training plan, you will be able to finish a full distance triathlon! You will train for a minimum of 10 hours and a maximum of 15 hours per week, following the principles of training plan periodisation.
After the rolling swim start, you will swim a course of 1 loop in the Maas river. The first part you will be swimming against a mild current. After an Australian exit, you will swim back to the transition zone with the current in your advantage. A fast swim time is almost guaranteed! The bike course has been altered since 2016 and now consists of 2 loops of 90k each. You will ride around Maastricht and a big part will take place in Belgium. There will be a few tough climbs. In total you will find around 1400m of elevation on the bike course. But with our training plan you will be well prepared for this. The marathon course leads through Maastricht. 4 laps of 10.5k each will give you over 200 meters of altitude. After the 4th loop, you are allowed to finish on the Magic Carpet at the Markt in downtown Maastricht. There you will finally hear the words “You are an Ironman” and receive a well-deserverd finisher shirt and medal.
What you’ll give
Using this Maastricht training plan, you will improve signifcantly. However, there are some things you will have to give too. To succeed with this Ironman training program, you have to be able to:
- Run continuously for at least 1 hour. How fast you run does not matter. We will work on your speed in this training plan 🙂
- Bike for at least 2 hours. Your cycling speed does not matter. This is also something you will improve on with this training plan.
- Swim freestyle for at least 400 meters in one go. How fast you swim is not important. Again, we’ll work on that during your weeks of training.
You will need some specific gear as well. You will probably have it, but just to be sure: these are some things you will need for the workouts:
- A pair of good running shoes. You are going to run a lot, so invest in a decent pair of running shoes.
- A race bike with a cadence meter. You do not need a triathlon bike, but we do suggest you use aerobars.
- For the swimming exercises, you will need swim goggles, a pull buoy, a kick board and paddles.
What you’ll get
You will get an excellent and proven to be successful ironman training plan to finish your first Ironman.
- Ironman Maastricht specific training plan.
- This training plan was carefully created by an IRONMAN Certified Coach who knows what it takes: he is a multiple Ironman finisher.
- You will receive your training plan and your workouts via TrainingPeaks. Just to be sure: you will not receive a download. You can access TrainingPeaks for free via the website or app. We will help you set up your account.
- We stuff your training plan with more than 250 very detailed workouts for 10 to 15 hours a week. You will know exactly what to do.
- Can’t train outside? Too cold, or just hate the rain? No problem! You will receive 1 year access to exclusive additional workouts and training exercises.
- This training plan uses training zones to indicate workout intensity. We provide tests to determine your training zones yourself.