About this Ironman Frankfurt training plan
This 6-month ironman training plan prepares you for finishing IRONMAN Frankfurt as your first Ironman distance triathlon. Sounds great, doesn’t it? You will be an Ironman! And we mean it – after completing this training plan, you will be able to finish Ironman Frankfurt! This plan gives you workouts for train 10 hours to 15 hours per week for 24 weeks in total. All to fulfil your dream of becoming an Ironman and earn the bragging rights that come with it.
You will start your day with a 3,8k swim in the Langener Waldsee. It is a two-loop swim course. After the first loop, you will have to do a short run before starting the second loop. The bike course will lead you from the Langener Waldsee back to downtown Frankfurt. There you will start the first of 2 loops, each leading you through the countryside around Frankfurt. You will cross several villages where lots of people will cheer you. And you will never forget the sound of the hundreds of cowbells you will hear. There is some challenge with a few hills, but you will enjoy the Tour de France like atmospheres. The marathon run course is flat and very fast. You will run along the promenades of the river Main with views of the skyline of Frankfurt. You will never forget the finish experience. The magic carpet is hundreds of meters long and the finish in the centre of the Altstad is crowded with hundreds of people cheering and congratulating you when you become an Ironman.
What you’ll give
You will gain a lot if you are going to use this training plan. However, there are some things you will have to give too. To succeed with this Ironman training plan, you have to be able to:
- Run continuously for at least 1 hour. How fast you run does not matter. We will work on your speed in this training plan 🙂
- Bike for at least 2 hours. Your cycling speed does not matter. This is also something you will improve on with this training plan.
- Swim freestyle for at least 400 meters in one go. How fast you swim is not important. Again, we’ll work on that during your weeks of training.
You will need some specific gear as well. You will probably have it, but just to be sure: these are some things you will need for the workouts:
- A pair of good running shoes. You are going to run a lot, so invest in a decent pair of running shoes.
- A race bike with a cadence meter. You do not need a triathlon bike, but we do suggest you use aerobars.
- For the swimming sessions, you will need swim goggles. You will also need a kickboard, a pull buoy and paddles.
What you’ll get
You will get an excellent and proven to be successful ironman training plan to finish your first Ironman in Frankfurt.
- An Ironman Frankfurt specific training plan.
- This training plan was carefully created by an IRONMAN Certified Coach. Not only is he a multiple Ironman finisher – he finished Ironman Frankfurt as well. And he was an official coach on behalf of the Ironman Frankfurt race organisation.
- You will receive your training plan and your workouts via TrainingPeaks. Just to be sure: you will not receive a download. You can access your account for free via the website or app. We will help you set up your account.
- We stuff your account with more than 250 very detailed workouts, divided into 24 weeks of 10 to 15 hours each. All workouts are detailed, so you will know what to do for each training session.
- Can’t train outside? Too cold, or just hate the rain? No problem! You will receive 1 year access to exclusive additional workouts and training exercises.
- The workouts in this training program use training zones to indicate the intensity in which to perform them. You can calculate your training zones yourself with the tests we provide.