About this Ironman Copenhagen training plan
This 6-month ironman training plan prepares you for Ironman Copenhagen as your first full distance triathlon. You will be an Ironman! And it is for real – after completing the workouts in this training plan for 24 weeks, you will be ready to finish Ironman Copenhagen! This plan gives you workouts for 10 to 15 hours for each of the 24 weeks.
The Copenhagen race course passes many of the well-known landmarks of Copenhagen, like the Little Mermaid statue, the Opera House and the Queen’s Palace Amalienborg. The swim in Copenhagen is a 3,8 kilometer course in an artificial lagoon at Amager Strandpark. You will swim one loop. The three bridges that are crossing the swim course will be crowded with cheering spectators.
After swimming, you will go for the 180k bike ride. It starts in central Copenhagen and there are two loops going through the Sealand countryside and farmlands, with some rolling hills. When you are back in the centre of Copenhagen, you will transition to the run. Four laps are awaiting you. While running along the harbour and 17th and 18th century houses, lots of fans will be cheering you to the finish line at the Christiansborg Castle. With these fans you will celebrate that you are now an Ironman!
What you’ll give
You will gain a lot of fitness, strength and speed while using his Ironman Copenhagen training program. When you start with this plan, you must be able to:
- Run without stopping for at least 60 minutes. How far of how fast you can run does not matter. Your running will improve a lot in the course of this training plan.
- Bike for at least 2 hours. This is also something you will improve on with this training plan, so your speed and distance for those 2 hours is not important.
- Swim freestyle for at least 400 meters in one go. How fast you swim is not important. Again, we’ll work on that during your 24 weeks of training.
You will need some specific gear as well. These are some things you will need for the training sessions:
- A pair of good running shoes. You are going to run a lot building up to Ironman Copenhagen. Invest in a decent pair of running shoes and you will prevent injuries.
- A race bike with a cadence meter. Most bike computers are able to track cadence. You do not need a triathlon bike, but if you do not have one, we do suggest you use aerobars for maximum result.
- For the swimming sessions, you will need swim goggles. You will also need a kickboard, a pull buoy and swim paddles.
What you’ll get
You will get an excellent and proven to be successful ironman training plan to finish your first Ironman in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- An Ironman Copenhagen specific training plan.
- This training program was carefully made by a multiple Ironman finishing IRONMAN Certified Coach.
- You will receive your training plan and your workouts via TrainingPeaks. You will not receive a downloadable file. You can access your account for free via the website or app. We will help you set up your account of you need it.
- We stuff your account with more than 250 very detailed training sessions. For 24 weeks in total, each week with of 10 to 15 hours worth of training. All workouts are detailed, so it is very clear what to do for each of the training sessions.
- Can’t train outside? Is the weather just to bad? We have a solution for that. You will receive 1 year access to exclusive additional workouts and training exercises to replace those in your training plan if you need it.
- The workouts in this training plan use training zones to indicate the intensity in which to perform them. You can calculate these zones yourself with the tests we give you.