About this Ironman Barcelona training plan
This 6 months long ironman training plan prepares you for finishing IRONMAN Barcelona as your first Ironman distance triathlon. Don’t you love the sound of that? In Barcelona you will become an Ironman! You will train for 10 to 15 hours per week. And because we apply periodization, you will stay fit, healthy and rested.
Ironman Barcelona takes place in Calella in the region of Barcelona-Maresme, along the coastline of the Mediterranean Sea. It was previously held under the Challenge Barcelona banner, but since 2014 this triathlon race is a part of the European Ironman circuit.
You will start your day with a 3,8k swim in one single lap. The rolling swim start is at Calella beach, about 1,5 kilometre away from the finish-line where you will end the day. The bike course is changed in 2016, but is still very flat and fast. You will ride 2 loops along the coastline from Calella to Montgat and back. Halfway this course you will tackle a small climb. The marathon run course is a 3 lap course, leading from Calella to Santa Susanna. You will follow the beaches and boulevards along the Mediterranean Sea. After your third loop, you will finish on the beach of Calella.
What you’ll give
You will gain a lot if you are going to use this Ironman Barcelona training plan. However, there are some things you will have to give too. To succeed with this training program, you have to:
- Be able to run for a minimum of 60 minutes. Without breaks. The distance you run in these 60 minutes is not important now. Your speed will improve with the running workouts we provide you with.
- Bike for at least 2 hours. Your cycling speed does not matter. This is also something you will improve on with this training plan.
- Swim freestyle for at least 400 meters in one go. How fast you swim is not important. Again, we’ll work on that during your weeks of training.
You will need some specific gear as well. You will probably have it, but just to be sure: these are some things you will need for the workouts:
- A pair of excellent running shoes. Running is a big part of this program, so buy a pair of trainers at a good running store.
- A race bike with a cadence meter. You do not need a triathlon bike, but we do suggest you use aerobars.
- For the swimming exercises, you will need swim goggles, a pull buoy, a kick board and paddles.
What you’ll get
You will get an excellent and proven-to-be-successful ironman training plan to finish Ironman Barcelona as your first full distance triathlon.
- This training plan was created specifically for Ironman Barcelona by an IRONMAN Certified Coach. This coach knows what it takes – he is a multiple Ironman finisher and finished Ironman Barcelona too.
- Your training plan and workouts are delivered in your TrainingPeaks account. You can access TrainingPeaks for free via the website or app. If you need it, we will help you set up your account. There is no file-download.
- We stuff your Ironman Barcelona training plan with more than 250 very detailed workouts for 10 to 15 hours a week. You will know exactly what to do.
- Can’t train outside? Too cold, or just hate the rain? No problem! You will receive 1 year access to exclusive additional workouts and training exercises.
- This training plan uses training zones to indicate workout intensity. We provide tests to determine your training zones yourself.