About this Ironman Austria training plan
This 6-month ironman training plan prepares you for Ironman Austria-Kärnten as your first full distance triathlon. You will be an Ironman! And it is for real – after completing the workouts in this training plan for 24 weeks, you will be ready to finish Ironman Austria! This plan gives you workouts for 10 to 15 hours for each of the 24 weeks.
Every year around 3.000 triathletes travel to Klagenfurt to participate in Ironman Austria. Around 60 countries are present, giving the event a vibrant atmosphere. The race starts with a one-loop swim in the clear and warm waters of the Wörthersee. Usually a wetsuit is permitted. The swim ends with a kilometer of swimming in a narrow canal. This gives fans the opportunity to come very close and cheer their athletes while running with them for the last kilometer of swimming to the transition zone.
The two-loop bikecourse is fast, it was the Ironman world-record bike course for years. There are some climbs in the course, 1680 meters in total. The Rupertiberg is one of the highlights. You will get a Tour-de-France like feeling with the crowd cheering you to the top. The two-loop run cours leads from the event area to the countryside, along the Wörthersee. From there you run to the city centre of Klagenfurt and then back to the event area. The run course is flat and crowded with supporters to cheer you to the finishline. Ironman acknowledges the Klagenfurt finish line experience as one of the best in the worldwide Ironman circuit. A massive crowd of fans cheer on every athlete until the very last one has crossed the finish to become an Ironman.
What you’ll give
You will gain a lot of endurance, speed and strength when using his training program. But, to make the most of it, you have to be able to:
- Run without a break for a minimum of 60 minutes. How far you can run in these 60 minutes does not matter. We will work on your speed in this training plan, your running will improve a lot.
- Bike for at least 2 hours. This is also something you will improve on with this training plan, so your speed and distance for those 2 hours is not important.
- Swim freestyle for at least 400 meters in one go. How fast you swim is not important. Again, we’ll work on that during your 24 weeks of training.
You will need some specific gear as well. These are some things you will need for the training sessions:
- A pair of good running shoes. You are going to run a lot building up to Klagenfurt. Invest in a decent pair of running shoes.
- A race bike with a cadence meter. Most bike computers are able to track cadence. You do not need a triathlon bike, but if you do not have one, we do suggest you use aerobars for maximum result.
- For the swimming sessions, you will need swim goggles. You will also need a kickboard, a pull buoy and swim paddles.
What you’ll get
You will get an excellent and proven to be successful ironman training plan to finish your first Ironman in Klagenfurt in Austria.
- An Ironman Austria specific training plan.
- This training program was carefully created by an IRONMAN Certified Coach. Not only is he a multiple Ironman finisher – he finished Ironman Austria as well and he coached other athletes in Klagenfurt as well.
- You will receive your training plan and your workouts via TrainingPeaks. You will not receive a downloadable file. You can access your account for free via the website or app. We will help you set up your account of you need it.
- We stuff your account with more than 250 very detailed training sessions. For 24 weeks in total, each week with of 10 to 15 hours worth of training. All workouts are detailed, so it is very clear what to do for each of the training sessions.
- Can’t train outside? Is the weather just to bad? We have a solution for that. You will receive 1 year access to exclusive additional workouts and training exercises to replace those in your training plan if you need it.
- The workouts in this training plan use training zones to indicate the intensity in which to perform them. You can calculate these zones yourself with the tests we give you.